Each one of us must have heard the tales of shahi families and shahi food and the shahi culture at some point of time. Pretty much it is reflected through our history, monuments, and places like Rajasthan, Gujarat, South and other parts of India that depicts the wide culture and royal treatments that our ancestral Rajas and Maharajas owned during their reign. Well, fortunately for us and unfortunately for the shahi pariwars, these culture are diminishing day by day and there is no more “Tananshahi” period. But somewhere down the line the Royal Pride that these cultures carried is deeply rooted in every Indian. And so it was taken up by Indian Railways too.
When there are trains like Vistadome recently flagged off by Indian Railways that boasts of glass roof coaches and some of the most modern amenities inside the train, let’s have a look at top five luxury trains in India that offers services and royal treatments of highest degrees. These trains are acclaimed internationally as one of the top most luxury trains throughout the world. Known for its world class services, amenities and hospitality these trains cover some of the most beautiful scenic views.
1. Royal Rajasthan on Wheels: Introduced in January 2009, this train is an epitome of royal style and design. Right from the amenities to the luxury and royal feast on board this train certainly offers an everlasting and immemorial experience to be loved and cherished forever. I would say the journey in itself is a destination! Why….because it offers restaurants, 5 star accommodation facilities, bars, salons, Spas and what not! This splendid journey starts from Delhi and covers some of the top most tourist destinations of Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh. It is operational between October till March every year and is 8 Days | 7 Nights tour that commences once a week on every Sunday between this period. It costs somewhere between INR 42,500 - INR 1,13,750 per night plus the government taxes, depending upon the category of suite you choose onboard. This train however has been discontinued now.
Route Covered: Delhi -> Jodhpur -> Udaipur -> Chittorgarh -> Sawai Madhopur -> Jaipur -> Khajuraho -> Varanasi (Benaras) -> Agra -> Delhi
To know more about Royal Rajasthan on Wheels Click Here
2. Maharaja Express: Bestowed with the award of “ World’s Leading Luxury Train in India” for past 5 years in a row, this train again is nothing less than a Maharaja experience. A train that is almost half a mile long redefines luxury and comfort. It recreates the lifestyle of a princely era for you. This train covers almost all of India with its different route offerings. It has 5 different routes one entirely different from another with 2 more additions to South India tour. The tour consists of either 4 Days | 3 Nights or of 8 Days | 7 Nights and is operational from Sept till April depending on the journey you select. The tariff starts from INR 3,88,700 and goes up to as high as INR 13,13,000 .
3. Palace on Wheels: There are two ways of exploring Rajasthan. One is you plan the journey by yourself and visit different places there and other one is you get on a tour in a Royal Rajasthani way with Palace on Wheels. There is a proverb “When in Rome...do as the Romans do”. So why not get into the shoes of our Royal men before experiencing it (If only your pocket can bear the cost of those shoes ;). The exquisite and exclusive Palace on Wheels has luxurious cabins, well stocked bar, 2 dining cars, wall to wall carpeting almost personalised services. It is 8 Days | 7 Nights journey and costs somewhere between INR 37,375 and goes up to INR 56,225 per room per night depending on the level of occupancy you book and the time you choose to travel. Time from October to March is considered peak season while September and April is considered lean season and prices fall comparatively for these two months.
Route Covered: New Delhi -> Jaipur -> Sawai Madhopur -> Chittaurgarh -> Udaipur -> Jaisalmer -> Jodhpur -> Bharatpur -> Agra -> New Delhi
To know more about this tour Click Here
4. Deccan Odyssey: Alternatively know as “ The Blue Limousine on Rolling Wheels”, this train is another luxury train that came into existence to boost Maharashtra tourism in “Maharaja” style. The week long Deccan Odyssey Pan India tour includes several exotic locations of the lands of Maratha and North India. It is a joint venture between Ministry of Railways, Government of India and MTDC (Maharashtra Tourism Development Corporation).The train has 21 coaches out of which 11 are passenger cars with 4 coupes each. There are 2 Presidential suite cars with 2 coupes per car. The train also has a conference car (which can be redesigned as dance floor in the night) and 2 restaurant cars. There is a lounge/bar car and a spa car. Apart from these there are generator cars with luggage stores and staff cars. The train runs for 8 Days| 7 nights and covers 6 different routes round the year from September till August. The tariff for this train starts from INR 3,77,650 per cabin per journey.
5. The Golden Chariot: This is the first and only luxury train in India offering tours to southern regions. Designed to recreate the aesthetics of Dravidian Culture, this luxury train comes equipped with some of the most modern interiors and designing. Southern region of India is known for some of the most ancient civilizations where most dynasties flourished. This is a perfect fit for the travellers who like exploring offbeat places. Designed in such a way to showcase the the culture and diversities of South India, the itineraries of this train include a dash of heritage, wildlife, nature and modernity to paint the picture of the region that is blessed with both manmade and natural beauties. It consists of 8 days | 7 nights tour and covers 2 different routes between October to March every year. The tariff starts somewhere from INR 2,27,500 and goes up as high as INR 4,00,000 depending on the cabins and occupancy one selects.
So friends do take a ride on these trains whenever you get a chance and do write to us if it was different and enriching experience for you too. Don't forget to share this blog! Trainman App is IRCTC official partner. Download App to find train between station, to check PNR status, train running status, train enquiry and for train ticket booking online.