The festival of colours is a much-awaited time of the year for Indians across the country and the world. Mathura along with Vrindavan is said to be the birthplace of Holi, where Krishna had smeared the colour on Radha and the Gopis.
Besides being the birthplace of the festival, Mathura is known to host the most vibrant and spectacular celebration of the festival. Here, Holi is celebrated for an entire week, and for the year 2023, the festivities will begin on March 2nd. People from all across India and even other parts of the world gather here annually, and this year will likely be the same.
Types of Holi Celebrated in Mathura
- Latthmar Holi
Krishna was known to have been an avid prankster who would tease the Gopis as he smeared colour on them. The latter would in turn retaliate by hitting Krishna and his friends with bamboo sticks.
Through the ages, this has been commemorated by men from Nandgaon visiting Barsana to play Holi with local women. All visitors are welcome to join in the fun and festivities as well.
- Phoolon ki Holi
Phoolon Ki Holi is celebrated on Ekadashi which is the eleventh that occurs twice in the Vedic calendar month. Revellers play with fresh flower petals with great fervor in Banke Bihari temple in Vrindavan. The exquisite and fragrant ambience will take you to a different world. Unlike the usual Holi festival which is played with water and colours, it is more about a divine communion of love and joy by showering God with flowers.
It is a good idea to prepare for the journey at the earliest to have the best experience. There are several trains from most parts of the country to Mathura. Here, we have compiled a list of the best trains from five major cities in India.
Delhi To Mathura Trains
- 12280 | Taj Express - New Delhi (NDLS) 6:55 AM - Mathura (MTJ) 8:35 AM - 1hr 40min
- 12060 | Kota Janshtabdi - Delhi H Nizamuddin (NZM) 12:45 PM - Mathura (MTJ) 2:20 PM - 1hr 35min
- 20452 | NDLS SGAC SF EXP - New Delhi (NDLS) 07:10 AM - Mathura (NDLS) 08:58 AM - 1hr 48mins
- 12724 | TELANGANA EXP - Delhi (NDLS) 04:00 PM - Mathura (MTJ) 05:26 PM - 1hr 26mins
- 12191 | Nzm Jbp Sf Exp - Delhi (NZM) 2:05 PM - Mathura (MTJ) 3:40 PM - 1 hr 35 min
Mumbai To Mathura Trains
- 12953 | Ak Tejas Raj Ex - Mumbai Central (MMCT) 5:10 PM - Mathura (MTJ) 7:53 AM - 14hr 43min
- 12903 | Golden Temple - Mumbai Central (MMCT) 6:45 PM - MTJ (Mathura)11:43 AM - 16hr 58 min
- 19019 | Bdts Hw Exp - Mumbai Bandra Terminus (BDTS) 12:05 AM - Mathura (MTJ) 12:10 AM - 1d 5min
- 12925 | Paschim Express - Mumbai Central (MMCT) 11:25 AM - Mathura (MTJ) 7:35 AM - 20hr 10min
- 12137 | Punjab Mail - Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT) 7:35 PM - Mathura (MTJ) 6:43 PM - 23hr 8min
- 11057 | Csmt Asr Exp - Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus (CSMT) 11:30 PM - Mathura (MTJ) 12:55 AM - 1D 1hr 25min
- 12617 | Mangladweep Exp - Panvel (PNVL) 12:40 PM - Mathura (MTJ) 10:35 AM - 21hr 55min
- 22917 | Bdts Hw Sf Exp - Mumbai Bandra Terminus (BDTS) 12:45 PM - Mathura (MTJ) 6:15 AM - 17hr 30min
Kolkata To Mathura Trains
- 12319 | Koaa Agc Exp - Kolkata Chitpur (KOAA) 1:10 PM - Mathura (MTJ) 9:10 AM - 20hr
- 13167 | Koaa Agc Expres - Kolkata Chitpur (KOAA) 12:10 PM - Mathura (MTJ) 2:40 PM - 1D 2hr 30min
Chennai To Mathura Trains
- 12615 | Grand Trunk Exp - Chennai Central (MAS) 6:50 PM - Mathura (MTJ) 2:32 AM - 1D 7hr 42min
- 16031 | Andaman Express - Chennai Central (MAS) 5:15 AM - Mathura (MTJ) 5:40 PM - 1D 12hr 25min
- 22403 | Pdy Ndls Exp - Chennai Central (MAS) 1:10 PM - Mathura (MTJ) 9:42 PM - 1D 8hr 32min
Bengaluru To Mathura Trains
- 12627 | Karnataka Exp - Bengaluru City Junction (SBC) 7:20 PM to Mathura (MTJ) 6:25 AM - 1D 11hr 5min
- 12647 | Kongu Express - Bengaluru Krishnarajapuram (KJM) 10:43 PM to Mathura (MTJ) 11:05 AM – 1D 12hr 22min
In short, no matter from which part of India you are planning to visit Mathura, you will have an option for the train. And just to fill more colors in your Holi Celebrations, we have a special offer for you. Use code RANG200 and save up to Rs. 200 upon booking your train ticket for Holi.
Other than Mathura, there are various types of Holi that are celebrated across India, get more detailed information about the same by following this link: Shades of Holi In India