This important information will help you with immediate plans. Therefore, for immediate bookings tatkal booking is one of the most sought after services. Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) offers a quota of ‘Tatkal’ and ‘Premium Tatkal’ for ticket bookings.
Tatkal Booking: Introduced in 1997, tatkal literally means ‘immediately’. It enables a passenger to book a ticket one day in advance of the actual date of the journey.
Premium Tatkal Booking: Introduced in the year 2014, Premium Tatkal works on dynamic pricing. This means passengers will be charged a higher price in case of increased demand and a lower price if the demand is less.
The difference between Tatkal ticket and Premium Tatkal ticket is as follows:
- Tatkal ticket charges are fixed whereas Premium Tatkal tickets have dynamic fare pricing for various classes.
- For Tatkal tickets, agents are allowed to book tickets under this quota whereas, for Premium Tatkal, this is prohibited.
- Reservation Against Cancellation/ Waitlisted (RAC/ WL) ticket can be booked as Tatkal tickets whereas only confirmed ticket gets booked under Premium Tatkal.
- Passengers might get a waitlisted ticket under Tatkal booking but this is not possible for Premium Tatkal.
- Tatkal tickets can be cancelled. This option is not available for Premium Tatkal. This option is not available for Premium Tatkal.
- Preferential allowances are given to senior citizens and children under Tatkal tickets. Under Premium Tatkal service, no preferential allowances are given to any passengers.
- Tatkal tickets are available at the counters and online platforms. Premium Tatkal tickets are only available on online platforms.
So, the next time you are booking a last-minute ticket, keep these points in mind and book your tickets online through Trainman and its apps available on Google play store and Apple App Store. Stay tuned to the Trainman Blog to know all the latest updates on Indian Railways.